Any product or company names, marks, or logos shown on this page are the property of their respective owners. ComparePower is an unaffiliated, independent marketplace. Get unbiased, accurate information backed by our commitment to editorial integrity.
How to Start Electricity Service
Moving into a new home in Texas is thrilling, but it also brings its fair share of tasks. One of the most important tasks is setting up electricity. If you’re overwhelmed by too many options and unsure how to start, ComparePower is here to help.
Here’s how to start electricity service for your new home with ComparePower, step by step.
Get started with your zip code on ComparePower.com
Total Time: 10 minutes
Enter Your Zip Code
Begin by entering your new home’s zip code on our website. This ensures we can provide accurate and relevant options specific to your location.
Next, we present you with a list of electricity plans available in your area. Every home is unique, and our goal is to provide you with the most suitable options for yours.
Once you’ve found a plan that meets your needs, it’s time to sign up. Fill in your information, and don’t forget to select a start date for your service, ideally before you move into your new home.
- Service Address
- Drivers License #
- Social Security #
- An internet connection and ComparePower.com is all you need to cross electricity off your moving checklist.
Materials: A computer, tablet, or mobile device with internet access.
Once you’re familiar with the steps, let’s dive into some shopping considerations to help you make an informed decision:
- Satisfaction Guarantee: It’s natural to worry about making the wrong choice. That’s why we recommend starting with a plan that offers a satisfaction guarantee. If you’re unhappy with your choice, you can always change it!
- Usage Credits: Consider opting for a plan without usage credits initially. While these can lead to substantial savings, they require a consistent usage pattern to be effective. This could be a gamble without clearly understanding your home’s usage history.
- Fixed-Rate Energy Plans: These plans are popular in Texas as they provide budgeting stability and protect you from extreme weather conditions. However, if market prices fall, you may be stuck at a higher rate until your contract expires.
- Term Lengths: Choose a term length that suits your needs. In Texas, you can cancel your electricity contract when you move out of a residence, so don’t worry if you move before your contract ends.
- Early Termination Fees: Be aware that early termination fees may apply to some fixed-rate plans with long-term contracts. Always read the contract carefully!
- Deposits: Some plans may require a deposit. Just remember that there is always a no-deposit option available.
With these steps and considerations, you can power up your new home.
Remember, we’re always here to help. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us anytime.
Get started today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are there different prices for different usage levels?
The electricity rate is the total cost divided by how much energy you use. It’s how you’re charged for electricity in Texas, which can vary depending on your monthly usage. Unlike gas, where you pay the same per gallon no matter how much you use, electricity costs can change. So, knowing your monthly energy use is key when choosing a new energy plan in Texas.
Why are there so many plans to choose from?
Since 2002, Texas has had a deregulated energy market with over 60 electricity companies and hundreds of energy plans. It can be overwhelming to choose the right one. However, ComparePower simplifies this process, providing tools and filters to help you find the best energy plan that fits your needs.